Our Model & Support
What We Fund
Experienced, dedicated social entrepreneurs with a developed idea for a non-profit organization with a legal presence in the United States are invited to apply for the Draper Richards Kaplan grant.
- Exceptional organizations tackling important social issues that can make a difference in the lives of many.
- Exceptional leaders with a model that has the likelihood to be able to scale.
- Organizations in the early stages of their development where our involvement can make a real difference. On average, organizations are 1-3 years old and the leader is prepared to execute an ambitious plan.
- Organizations with a legal existence and substantive presence in the United States.
- Organizations that are national or global in reach and social issue.
We do not fund:
- Community-based organizations with no interest in scaling.
- Organizations whose sole focus is on the development of research.
- Programs promoting religious doctrine
Some common reasons organizations are not considered eligible for funding:
- Organization is no longer at the early stages of its development.
- Organization is local, rather than national or international, in scope. A local organization is one that focuses on a defined region or location and does not plan to expand its reach or service area.
- Organization is a program of a larger organization, rather than a stand-alone entity.
- Organization does not plan to be a 501c3.
- Organization is not located in the United States.
- Entrepreneur does not choose to make the organization a full-time commitment.
- Idea is not unique or is a replication of a program that already exists.
- Idea is unfocused. The organization is trying to solve too many problems or is using too many models and programs to achieve its goals.
- Idea and/or implementation strategy lacks clarity. The plan is not comprehensive or is hard to understand.
- Scaling plan is not viable. The revenue model or the operational model is not sustainable.
- Idea will not create systemic social change. The solution presented does not address root causes or deliver enduring benefits.
- There is not a plan to measure outcomes.
- Model does not have large-scale impact.
We do not accept resubmissions.